- A spherical body; a globe; especially, one of the celestial spheres; a sun, planet, or star
- One of the azure transparent spheres conceived by the ancients to be enclosed one within another, and to carry the heavenly bodies in their revolutions
- A circle; especially, a circle, or nearly circular orbit, described by the revolution of a heavenly body; an orbit
- (rare) A period of time marked off by the revolution of a heavenly body.
- (poetic) The eye, as luminous and spherical
- (poetic) A revolving circular body; a wheel
- (rare) A sphere of action.
- A globus cruciger; a ceremonial sphere used to represent royal power
- A translucent sphere appearing in flash photography (: (optics)|Orb (optics))
- (military) A body of soldiers drawn up in a circle, as for defence, especially infantry to repel cavalry.
Borrowed from Old French orbe derived from Latin orbis (orb, circle).